Saturday, November 19, 2011

PS2 Network Adapter and N64 Perfect Dark

I did not check mail until Saturday but, when I did I found my PS2 network adapter and Perfect Dark in the mail. I had other plans for the day so I set them aside and it was about 8 hours before I came back to play with them.

When I came back I started with getting Perfect Dark out and into my N64.

I soon realized I did not get the memory expansion pak with my N64 and I only had a jumper pak. So most of Perfect Dark is not playable and the graphics are very bad. I will get a expansion on order soon. I think the next step will be to overclock the CPU for better game performance. Instructions for overclocking a N64 are here http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/n64oc.htm

Here is the beginning of and N64 collection.

I moved on to the PS2 and my new network adapter :).

I had been using OPL and PS2ESDL to load ps2 games from USB HDDs. I used a Sandisk USB drive like the one below to test with as well as an OCZ Desiel 16GB drive I have. Both worked well with my PS2. Not all thumb drives will work

With the network adapter for the PS2, which also serves as the internal HDD connector, I can try using OPLs network capability. I have a file server setup on my network already so I thought it would be a good idea to try it. I used a little help to make sure I got it right. I followed the help here http://openps2loader.info/8/config_net.html and made sure I had the games install properly after reading here http://openps2loader.info/8/net_install.html

After some rebooting I had games playing over the network share. I have Tourist Trophy loading from my SMB share. I have the flip top open to show no disc inside.


I have not had time to actually play the games on the system but Tourist Trophy does a have a CGI intro movie and that can be used to tell how well/fast the data transfer is over the network. So far it is much better that OPL via USB or PS2ESDL via USB for playing the intro CGI to Tourist Trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment